Full-Time Writer in Oro Valley, Arizona
Employment with WNPA requires that you submit proof of full vaccination for the COVID-19 virus unless you have requested and been approved for a medical or sincerely held religious exemption.
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team the writer develops and edits content that communicates compelling and consistent messaging across print and digital media for the home office, 70+ retail stores, and the online store. There is a wide range of project types including but not limited to product descriptions, retail promotional email campaigns, in-store signage, event flyers, newsletters, press releases, brochures, social media, web content, blog post stories, and organizational materials such as annual reports.
The writer must be a team player who is passionate about copywriting and storytelling, a critical thinker, and a self-starter. Additionally, the writer must have superior attention to detail, be organized, have the ability to project manage/client manage, and be skilled in appealing to and influencing multiple audiences.
This role is responsible for completing the following tasks and any related tasks as assigned:
- Generate and/or edit content for all digital and printed materials (e.g. print ads, flyers, emails, web content, social media posts, brochures, handouts, etc.) supporting the various departments within the organization (e.g. online store, retail, programming, philanthropy, human resources, accounting, research, etc.). Target audiences include, but are not limited to people who are advocates/supporters of national parks, our National Park Service partners, board members, WNPA members, WNPA donors, and internal staff.
- Write and edit all advertising, promotional, and marketing communications content to effectively promote and showcase WNPA products, services and programs.
- Write, edit, and publish organizational newsletters, web pages, blog post stories, press releases, informational and educational brochures.
- Coordinate with ecommerce manager to write product descriptions for online store.
- Collaborate with regional program manager and park store managers to write and edit content for event collateral (e.g. flyers, emails).
- Collaborate with others to help develop and recommend short- and long-term promotional activities to drive traffic to our online store increasing sales.
- Write and/or edit event-focused emails for both partner parks and The National Parks Store.
- Maintain awareness of park activities and events, helping to contribute fresh ideas to promote and support our partner parks.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to develop a content strategy and actionable plan that aligns with the marketing plan and company business strategy.
- Responsible for creating content for social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) working collaboratively with marketing team member.
- Partner with marketing team member to develop social media strategy and content in conjunction with overall digital strategy of the organization.
- Ensure all content created meets the WNPA brand and editorial guidelines.
- Collaborate with marketing team developing or revising standard operating procedures and workflows for efficiency.
- Develop content for WNPA’s business development, grant writing and other marketing and promotional projects as needed.
- Provide additional support to the Marketing & Communications manager/chief operating officer as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
This role must possess advanced to expert knowledge of, skill in, and/or ability in the following:
- Excellent writing skills with a strong capacity for creative, narrative, business, and promotional writing
- Experience copyediting and fact checking
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Experience following/enhancing both in-house style guides and the Chicago Manual of Style
- Ability to project manage and effectively work/communicate with internal and external clients
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at once
- Self-starter, critical thinker, and creative problem solver
- Ability to work in groups and independently while overseeing multiple projects to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Acrobat Pro
- Working knowledge of social media analytics tools
- Working knowledge of electronic editing, specifically PDF markup
- Skilled in developing and maintaining positive professional relationships as a team player
- Knowledge of project development, management, and oversight standard
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process
- Must possess advanced-level computer skills with Microsoft Office suite products to include but not limited to, internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and databases
- Must be comfortable with learning and using new hardware and software programs as introduced into the work environment
This role must be able to meet the following physical demands with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by office environmental systems.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 8 hours per day. Walking and standing are occasionally required. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pound occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with customers, volunteers, supervisors/managers, directors, and coworkers
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception
- Ability to work primarily with fingers to pick, pinch, type, and carry out substantial movements (motions) of the wrists and hand
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, calculators, multi-line touch-tone phones, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dollies and other office equipment as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
This role must have the following qualifications and/or experience unless otherwise noted:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, creative writing, marketing or relevant field
- 5 years professional experience in journalism, marketing communications, or content writing
- Experience working across mediums/media (print, digital, video etc.)
- Experience with email marketing systems (Constant Contact, Mailchimp etc.)
- 5-8 years writing, managing and executing marketing and communications content
- Experience planning and implementing social media strategies
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU
We are committed to providing you value and support. As a Full-Time Employee you will be eligible for:
- Employee Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match**, Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Appreciation: Store Discount of 15% on your purchases
**Human Resources will provide more details upon hire.
(This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.)
Western National Parks Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and o